"It is the passion that is in a kiss that gives to it its sweetness; it is the affection in a kiss that sanctifies it." - Christian Nevell Bovee

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Unleashed (Wolf Springs Chronicles #1) Book Review

Alright, so I mentioned that I might start adding some of my book reviews on here since I seem to be pretty faithful about updating my Goodreads account. This week has been a big week for werewolves. I just finished 4 different books with werewolves as the main subject, and quite on accident. I wasn't looking for werewolf books but since I read so many I figured I could post a couple of my reviews on here and make it werewolf week. :)

And it just so happens that, I have a song for it. One that I have been loving lately. It's a fun song to harmonize to.

Wolf by First Aid Kit on Grooveshark


I think I need to write a warning about my reviews before I post. My reviews are less of a review and more of my thoughts on the book. I write my "reviews" like I am at a book club discussing the book.

The book I am posting a review for is Unleashed by Nancy Holder and Debbie ViguiƩ. This is book 1 in The Wolf Springs Chronicles series. Here is the synopsis for the book from Goodreads.

Katelyn McBride’s life changed in an instant when her mother died. Uprooted from her California home, Katelyn was shipped to the middle of nowhere, Arkansas, to her only living relative, her grandfather. And now she has to start over in Wolf Springs, a tiny village in the Ozark Mountains. Like any small town, Wolf Springs has secrets. But the secrets hidden here are more sinister than Katelyn could ever imagine. It’s a town with a history that reaches back centuries, spans continents, and conceals terrifying truths. And Katelyn McBride is about to change everything.

Broken families, ageless grudges, forced alliances, and love that blooms in the darkest night—welcome to Wolf Springs.


Unleashed (Wolf Springs Chronicles, #1)Unleashed by Nancy Holder

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


This book started out kind of slow. There was a lot of mystery in it, and it took too long for things to be revealed in my opinion. But it started to pick up and I really got into it.



I'm so confused about the whole Trick/Jason thing. I love Trick. Although I thought it was weird that he liked Kat so much, but didn't really make much of an effort to include her in his circle of friends. He never invited her to do things with them. (There was that ONE party he invited her to go as his date, where he freaked out... which was never really explained, I didn't buy the whole "I didn't know this was going to be a memorial" thing.) But then he makes that cool sculpture thing for Kat and she gets all emotional starts making out and then she pushes him away and gives him the cold shoulder. I didn't really understand all that either. Yeah there was a lot going on in her life, but I didn't see why she had to hurt Trick. I felt bad for him. I liked it when he finally got aggressive and made her sit with him at lunch and talk with him. What does she end up doing? She starts making out with him again and AGAIN pushes him away. What the heck! What a freakin' tease.



Then the Jason thing. At first I didn't really like Jason coming in and messing things up for Trick, because she didn't once think of Trick, those first few times she was with Jason. But as you learn more about Jason and how him and Kat feel such a pull to one another even though they don't want to succumb to it, it started to intrigue me. Now I want to know what that whole situation is about, because it sounds like they are natural mates. But where does that leave Trick? I have a feeling there is more to Trick that meets the eye, that maybe he has his own supernatural secret... I can't wait to get my hands on the next book.



******************************

Book 2 is supposed to be released this fall.  The date has yet to be determined.

No comments:

The Cutest Little Blog On The Block